The NYPD is asking the public's assistance identifying the suspect wanted for robbing and choking a 53-year-old man unconscious on Thursday night in Central Park. The man told police he was walking through the Ramble area of the park around 10 p.m. when he was attacked by a violent begger who had asked him for money earlier.
Robberies in the park have nearly doubled so far this year.
Cops released a sketch on Saturday of the suspect who allegedly robbed a 53-year-old man after choking him out in Central Park, according to the New York Daily News.
The victim was walking through The Ramble area when the creep approached him, saying, "I am hungry. Do you have any money?" near West Drive and the 79th St. Transverse at 10 p.m. on July 30, police said.
The man replied, "No," and walked away but the suspect pursued, slinking up behind him and throwing him in a choke hold until he passed out, according to officials. When the victim came to 20 to 30 minutes later his wallet and backpack - which contained a pair of glasses, set of keys, gift cards, jewelry and cash - were all gone, cops said.
He was treated for injuries at Mount Sinai Roosevelt Hospital the next day, authorities said.
Police described the suspect as a 35-year-old black man, 5-foot-8 and weighing 160-pounds.
Robberies in the park have nearly doubled so far this year, with 19 reported through July 26, compared to 10 during the same period last year.
Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline
after choking him out in Central Park
New York Daily News - August 2, 2015 - By Ryan Sit , Laura Bult , Ben Kochman
WCBS - August 1, 2015 - By Ilana Gold
WABC - August 1, 2015 - By Renee Stoll
New York Post - August 1, 2015 - By Aaron Feis, Georgett Roberts and Laura Italiano