Important Parks Department Service Changes Due to Hurricane Irene
In preparation for Hurricane Irene, the Parks Department will close all beaches at 6 p.m. on Friday, August 26, 2011. NYC Parks' recreation centers and outdoor swimming pools will close on Saturday, August 27, 2011. These facilities are closed until further notice. For more information about the hurricane and ways to be prepared, please visit www.nyc.gov/severeweather.
We urge people to stay out of parks and off sidewalks, in the event of falling trees or branches. To report downed trees or branches, please call 311. In case of emergency, please call 911.
The following facilities are closed or will be partially closed as of Saturday, August 27. This information will be updated as it is available:
- All City beaches close at 6 p.m. on Friday, August 26.
- All Parks recreation centers will be closed on Saturday, August 27.
- All City swimming pools will be closed on Saturday, August 27.
- All nature centers in parks will be closed effective Saturday, August 27.
- Greenmarkets citywide will be closed all weekend.
- Liberty Island and Ellis Island will be closed on Saturday, August 27.
- Central Park, Prospect and Flushing Meadows Corona Park Zoos will be closed on Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28.
The following events are cancelled this weekend:
- All Urban Park Ranger public and private programs beginning 6 p.m. on Friday, August 26, until further notice.
- The Alley Pond Park Adventure Course
- Public Explorer programs scheduled for Saturday, August 27, and Sunday, August 28. They will not be rescheduled.
- Arthur Ashe Kids Day, Saturday, August 27.
- New York Mets home games are cancelled on Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28.
- All practice sessions for the U.S. Open, Sunday, August 28.
- Brooklyn Cyclones home game on Sunday, August 28.
- The Afro Punk Festival in Brooklyn.