Thursday, March 24, 2016
Jogger Slashed In Van Cortland Park
Friday, February 20, 2015
Central Park: Free Ice Skating On Pond Returns! Other Boroughs Not So Lucky
A Parks Department spokesman said there are no plans to establish such sites this winter.

Friday, November 28, 2014
Croton Water Filtration Plant Costs Continue To Skyrocket To $ 3.7 Billion

A driving range is being built on top to replace the one seized during construction. (Photo: NYC Department of Environmental Protection)
Bloomberg's Folly. The Croton Water Filtration Plant in the Bronx is nearing completion. Total costs associated with the project have ballooned to $ 3.7 billion according to the IBO,
up from an estimated cost of $992 million in 2003.
The federal government ordered New York City to build a filtration plant for its Croton water supply. Three potential sites were considered including the Mosholu Golf Course in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.
Site preparation began in 2004 and plant construction started last year. In 2008 plant construction costs were estimated to be $2.2 billion, a 119 percent increase and total costs for the project including amenities such as parks, and mitigation measures was estimated to exceed $3.1 billion dollars.
- Geoffrey Croft
The Croton Water Filtration Plant — planned to clean a significant portion of the city’s water supply when it finally opens — is now estimated to cost taxpayers a whopping $3.7 billion, the city Independent Budget Office reported this week.
When the federally-mandated plan was finalized, in 2004, the cost was pegged at just over $1 billion. The last estimate, in 2011, put the cost at $3.5 billion. The long-delayed construction is now projected to be finished sometime around 2017, and it’s still unclear when the plant would be operational. It was supposed to be opened in 2011.
“The initial (city) estimate was a lowball,” said Doug Teresky, chief of staff of the Independent Budget Office, noting that former Mayor Bloomberg pledged $200 million in related park improvements that will cost more than initially estimated.
from Independent Budget Office
Friday, June 28, 2013
Body Found Stabbed Mutiple Times Van Cortlandt Park
By Geoffrey Croft
In Crotona Park an 18-year-old woman reported being raped early Thursday morning.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Van Cortlandt Park Sexual Exposer Caught
By Geoffrey Croft
Park police caught a serial public masturbator in Van Cortlandt Park NYC Park Advocates has learned.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
City Pulls Plug On Van Cortlandt Park Skating Rink

Saturday, December 17, 2011
Free Ride - Unstable Arrangement At Van Cortlandt Park Equestrian Centre

Talk about a free ride: The city is giving away Bronx stable stalls to horses that compete in the Olympic Games for Canada, according the New York Daily News.
The Parks Department is forgoing boarding fees from 43 stalls at the Riverdale Equestrian Centre in Van Cortlandt Park, including several that house horses owned by Canadian equestrian Ashley Holzer, the Daily News has learned. The agency claims the horses “raise the profile” of the sparkling facility on Broadway.
But not everyone agrees.
“The fact that there are Canadian Olympic horses at the Riverdale Equestrian Centre — I don’t see how that benefits the taxpayers in any way,” said Bob Bender, Community Board 8 parks committee chairman.
United States Olympic hopefuls also train at the center, said Holzer. She has competed at three Olympic Games for Canada and is the wife of Rusty Holzer, who runs the center for Parks as a concession.
Her husband is the son of Andy Warhol muse Baby Jane Holzer. Parks has allowed the Holzers to stable the Olympic horses for free since 1998, according to a recent audit by the agency.
The Parks audit also found that Rusty Holzer’s company, Catango Corporation, failed to charge boarding fees for 12 stalls housing personal horses and neglected to collect revenue from riding lessons by an unapproved operator, piling up more than $100,000 in debt to taxpayers from 2007 to 2009.
Meanwhile, a new audit by City Controller John Liu states that better management of Parks concessions from 2008 to 2010 could have yielded $8.8 million more in revenue for the city.
Rather than collect Catango’s debt, Parks has asked Holzer to repay taxpayers by making more than $100,000 in improvements at the center. The agency has no plans to audit Catango or pursue debts incurred prior to 2007.
“Parks has over 400 concessions and a limited number of auditors and thus we must prioritize the use of our auditing resources,” said an agency spokesman.
Bender called the agency’s response “troubling.”
“Maybe it makes sense to hire a few more auditors,” he said.
Most of the stalls without boarding fees house lesson horses that generate revenue and are used in programs for children and adults with special needs, said the Parks spokesman. The stalls also house Parks police horses. “Parks does not believe that the license agreement prohibits this arrangement,” said the spokesman.
The agency claims the arrangement has not interfered with public demand for the stalls because the stables are not at capacity. Catango is required to remove non-paying horses to make room for paying horses if necessary. Catango has exceeded its $1 million capital commitment by more than $600,000, according to Parks, greatly upgrading what was a shabby facility.
“We run the finest equestrian center in New York City,” said Rusty Holzer, calling it “a feather in the cap” of the Parks Department and the city.
Read More:Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Bronx Residents Upset Over Bloomberg/Parks Dept Ice Staking Rink Slight


The Bronx could finally be getting the ice skating rink that Mayor Bloomberg promised the borough last January - but without formal community input. Local leaders are upset they won't get to vet how the facility is run, according to the New York Daily News.
"The agency has decided to circumvent the public process," said Bob Bender, Community Board 8 parks committee chairman. "It concerns me greatly."
The Parks Department had planned to install a full-size rink on unused tennis courts in Van Cortlandt Park by November, but the agency is still negotiating with the company slated to run the facility, and the proposal has yet to go before the city Franchise Concession and Review Committee.
In the meantime, Parks has asked the company to install a smaller rink in Van Cortlandt Park in January and operate it for as few as four weeks under a “temporary” permit not subject to public review, said Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe.
"We are trying to do what we can to honor a longstanding request from the Bronx," he said. "Skating is a great way to exercise and enjoy the outdoors."
Bloomberg promised the Bronx a rink in his State of the City speech last January, thrilling borough ice skating fans. The Bronx is the only borough without a public rink, while Manhattan has five and Brooklyn three.
Parks last spring selected Ice Rink Events - the company that operates the Bryant Park rink in Manhattan - to build a full-size rink in Van Cortlandt Park for use during the winter and operate it under contract for 15 years.
Board 8 intends to hold a public hearing when the full-size rink proposal is ready for review and brought before the FCRC.
"We want to know how much it will cost and how much rink time will be available to the public as opposed to private schools in the community," Bender said.
But he claims Parks is now skating past the review process.
Benepe said the full-size rink has been delayed due to technical issues and noted that Parks recently presented its temporary plan to Board 8, even though no disclosure was required.
But Geoffrey Croft of New York City Park Advocates slammed the agency for "pushing through a poor substitute."
Croft claims Parks is desperate to install a rink before the mayor's next State of the City, in January. "It seems like they need the mayor to save face and mean to avoid community input," Croft said.
Parks plans to charge $5-8 for admission and $5 for skate rental at the temporary rink, said Bender. Benepe said the full-size rink plan enjoys "overwhelming support" from locals, citing an online survey conducted by Board 8.
But Croft called the proposed prices at the temporary rink unreasonable, noting that the Bryant Park rink frequented by "wealthy people and tourists" is free.
Read More:Thursday, October 13, 2011
Van Cortlandt Parade Grounds Cricket Fields Re-Opening Delayed Again
Danger Keep Out. Van Cortlandt Parade Grounds - Bronx. More DPR Capital problems. Renovations began in 2009. The fields were slated to open last spring, but numerous issues have caused the project to be delayed. The fields will now be closed until fall of 2012. The project is part of a $15 million renovation of the 65-acre Parade Grounds, however the park's baseball and soccer fields reopened in 2010. Critics say the Parks Department is treating cricket like a second-class sport:
"For baseball or soccer I'm quite sure they would have made other arrangements," Milford Lewis, president of the New York Cricket League, fumed.
Bronx
Bronx parkgoers and cricket players are getting crabby about renovation delays at theVan Cortlandt Park Parade Grounds.
The Parks Department won't reopen eight cricket fields until next fall because the renovated Parade Grounds contain weeds and crab grass, said an agency spokesman, according to the New York Daily news.
The renovations began in 2009 and the fields were slated to open last spring. But the Parks Department contractor hired to reseed the turf has botched the job twice, said Bob Bender, Community Board 8 parks committee chairman.
Now, the cricket fields will remain closed for a third straight spring season.
"When we heard, we were devastated," said Milford Lewis, president of the New York Cricket League. "I don't know if my league will survive."
Before the renovations began, the Riverdale park adjacent to Broadway was a mecca for cricket players from around New York, including immigrants from the United Kingdom, South Asia and the West Indies. The Parade Grounds boast 10 fields for the popular international game. Two of them reopened last July.
Two major cricket groups, the New York Cricket League and Commonwealth Cricket League, use the sprawling park.
The $15 million renovation of the 65-acre Parade Grounds began in 2008 and is mostly complete. The park's baseball and soccer fields reopened in 2010.
But the cricket fields remained closed last spring due to bare patches of turf. They were reseeded over the summer, but still contain weeds. Now the contractor will try again, this time with more Parks oversight.
"I understand that Parks wants the contractor to do the job right," Bender said. "But being deprived of part of the Parade Grounds for an additional year is a tremendous blow to the community and the cricket players.
"Parks has really dropped the ball here," he said.
But Bender is concerned that the third time won't be the charm. He said the cricket players would rather play on crab grass and weeds than not play at all.
"The grass may not be exactly what [Parks] wanted, but there's no shortage of it," he said. "We can't wait for it to be perfect."
The renovations are being paid for through the $240 million Croton Water Filtration Plant mitigation fund, created to offset the impact of building the facility in another part of Van Cortlandt Park.
Lewis said his league was unable to play at all last spring and summer. Parks is treating cricket like a second-class sport, he said.
"For baseball or soccer I'm quite sure they would have made other arrangements," he fumed.



