The NYPD is asking for the public's assistance in identifying the suspect depicted in the sketch, who is wanted in connection with 5 robberies.
All 5 incidents occurred inside city parks within the confines of the 52 Pct.
In all the cases the suspect approaches the victim and identifies himself as a Police Officer then asks for their cell phones. He then tells the victims to wait at that location while he goes to check if the phone is stolen and leaves. The suspect never returns.
1. On Wednesday, May 5 2012 at approximately 1720 hrs at Wayne & Reservoir Ave. The victim is a female Hispanic - age 14.
2. On Friday, June 1 2012 at approximately 1600 hrs at Devoe Park, University Ave & Fordham Rd. The victim is a female Hispanic - age 14.
Sketch of suspect wanted in a series of robberies in Bronx Parks mostly of young hispanic teens. (Image: DCPI)Click on image to enlarge.
3. On Monday, June 11 2012 at approximately 1600 hrs at St. James Park, Creston Ave & E 192 St. The victim is a male Hispanic -age 14.
4. On Thursday, June 14 2012 at approximately 1430 hrs at Bainbridge Ave & Oval east. The victim is a female Hispanic -age 16.
5. On Monday, July 2 2012 at approximately 2200 hrs at 2549 Jerome Ave.
The victim is a male Hispanic - age 18.
The suspect is described as a male Hispanic age 25-30, 5'9" heavy build, mole on left cheek and tattoos on both forearms.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.
All calls are strictly confidential.
- Geoffrey Croft