Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Two Arrested In Brutal Battery Park City Attack

Police have arrested a 16, and 14-year-old wanted for attacking and robbing two sixteen-year - old teens in this dark alley in Battery Park City on December 19th.  Victims and witnesses charge that a newly hired AlliedBarton "security ambassador" did not intervene and delayed the calling of the police.  The attack left one of the victims with a concussion, a skull fracture, bleeding in his brain in three places and a swollen shut eye.   All nine of the area's lights are out at the time of the attack.  (Photos by Geoffrey Croft/NYC Park Advocates) 


By Geoffrey Croft

Police have arrested two teens wanted in connection with the brutal attack and robbery of two 16-year-olds in Battery Park City last month, NYC Park Advocates has learned. 

A 16-year-old was arrested yesterday and charged with Robbery, Second Degree, and Assault. 

Police arrested a 14-year-old suspect on January 9th. He was charged with Robbery, Third Degree.     

Both suspects live on the lower Eastside near the Brooklyn Bridge. 
The incident sparked outrage by the victims who claim the newly hired AlliedBarton “safety ambassadors”  did not intervene to help the teens and delayed calling the police.  

The incident occurred just one day after AlliedBarton employees began working at the 92-acre complex.

The Battery Park City Authority (BPCA) who hired AlliedBarton, states that employees,  “acted appropriately by immediately contacting NYPD, EMT services and the PEP,” a claim that victims and their parents vehemently deny.  

The actions of AlliedBarton employees has renewed the fears of residents and elected officials who have complained bitterly since finding out about the Authority’s move to replace PEP offices with civilians at a October BPCA board meeting.

Victims and witnesses said on the night of December 19th, four teens - two males and two girls - had just left Shake Shack on Murray Street when they noticed they were being followed by a group of approximately fifteen black teens, mostly males. 

The group surrounded them in a dimly lit area near the ballfields.

 “They (four people) were kicking him while he was unconscious," said the friend who also sustained injuries during the beating.

 “The security guard just stood there and watched and did nothing,”   the victim said of the AlliedBarton employee.

"He wasn't even yelling at them," the victim continued.

"He was just standing there, doing nothing. He couldn’t care less. it’s scary. Instead calling the police, he called his supervisor.

It took the police between 20 and 30 minutes to come.” 

"He stood there and watched it happen," one the girl explained.  

"I said, 'you are not even yelling at them to stop it. He said,'I can’t get involved.' He kept saying, 'I can’t get involved."' 

"I was terrified," she said. "It was very traumatic."

Several victims said the ambulance was delayed while the AlliedBurton employees figured out what to do.  

"AlliedBarton security personnel on duty did nothing to help the children" the mother of victim with a concussion said in a statement. 

The teens were attacked on Saturday, December 19th while walking through the Terrace, a dimly lit area near the ballfields and the Asphalt Green, between North End Avenue and Murray St.  just after 10 p.m.

A Walk In The Park - January 7, 2016 - By Geoffrey Croft 

1 comment:

  1. Bring back a full compliment of PEP officers...They are trained to handle these conditions. Thank God it was not worse for the victim.