Thursday, August 6, 2015

Mugging Victim Beaten Unconscious With Baseball Bat In Flushing Meadows Park


Queens

By Geoffrey Croft

A man was viciously attacked by group in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, NYC Park Advocates has learned.

Jorge Huerta, 21, was repeatedly hit in the head, stomach and leg with a baseball bat.

While he was passed out the group stole his cell phone his family said.

The man was walking home in the park at 9:30 on Sunday night after playing soccer when he was jumped by a group as he was checking his phone.

He was brought to Elmhurst Hospital where he received 20 stitches in his head. He has severe bruising throughout his body.

The family is originally from Equator and said Jorge did not know the group that attacked him.

Sunday's attack is the latest in a series of violent incidents that have occured in parks. 

Two Shot In Brooklyn Park

Brooklyn

Violence in parks continues as two people were shot in a Crown Heights park last night. 

Two males, one 23 and the other 24, were shot in Brower Park.

The 23-year was shot in the left ankle, while 24-year-old was shot in the right knee while playing basketball.

The incident happened last night at approx. 9:45pm. within the confines of the 77 Pct.

The park has had gang issues in prior years. 

- Geoffrey Croft


Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Central Park: Police Release Sketch Of Suspect Wanted In Atempted Knife-Point Robbery


The police released a sketch of the suspect wanted in Saturday's attempted robbery of a  
31-year-old male on East Drive and East 109 Street at 3:50pm. in Central Park.

The victim said that while sitting on a tree log counting his money the suspect approached him, brandished a knife and demanded money, stating "Let me get that!"  The suspect is described as a male black, approximately 30 years old, 6' 00" tall, weighing 180 lbs., wearing a baseball hat, black shorts, a white shirt and white sneakers.

Manhattan

The New York City Police Department is asking the public's assistance identifying the suspect wanted for an attempted robbery within the confines of the Central Park Precinct. Details are as follows:

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 1550 hours, police responded to a report of an attempted robbery at East Drive and East 109 Street, with the confines of the Central Park Precinct.  Upon arrival, officers were met by the 31 year-old male victim who stated that while sitting on a tree log at the location, counting his money, the suspect approached him, brandished a knife and demanded money, stating "Let me get that!" The victim shouted at the suspect and fled the location. The suspect left the location empty handed. There were no injuries sustained as a result of the incident.

The suspect is described as a male black, approximately 30 years old, 6' 00" tall, weighing 180 lbs., wearing a baseball hat, black shorts, a white shirt and white sneakers.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.

The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers Website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or texting their tips to 274637(CRIMES) then enter TIP577.

Read More:

‘Let me get that!’: Attempted-robbery suspect to man counting money
New York Post - August 5, 2015 - By Dana Sauchelli

WCBS -  August 5, 2015 







Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Central Park Robberies Up 120%

The NYPD  is asking the public's assistance identifying the suspect wanted for robbery within the confines of the Central Park Precinct.




















A police sketch of the suspect wanted for robbing and choking out a 53-year-old man in Central Park last Thursday night. 

Manhattan

Robberies in Central Park have more than doubled so far this year.


Twenty-two people have been mugged since the beginning of the year compared to ten over the same period according to the latest figures compiled by the city.

The seven major "index" crimes are up twenty-eight percent over all in the flagship park with fifty-five incidents compared to forty-three over the same period according to Comstat.

- Geoffrey Croft

Monday, August 3, 2015

Central Park: Young Couple Attacked & Robbed By Group - 3 Arrested From N.J.


Duo arraigned in Central Park mugging

Lorenzo Devone, 29, (l) and Dwayne Turner, 23 (r), two of the three suspects charged, along with Nashir Whitaker, 19,  with robbing a couple early Saturday morning in Central Park.   They are due back in court on November 16th. (Photos: William Miller)  

Manhattan


By Geoffrey Croft



A 21-year-old male and 19-year-old female were siting on a bench in Central Park early Saturday morning when they were suddenly surrounded by a group of five individuals who robbed them of an I-phone and beat up one of the victims according to the police.


Police apprehended four males and a female from Newark N.J. shorty after the victims were able to flag down a patrol car and pointed the suspects out. Three were charged. 

The incident occured near 60th Street and West Drive at 2:15am. 


The incident began when suspect Dwayne Turner, repeatedly touched the female's leg according to the complaint.  

After she repeatedly told defendant to stop the male she was with pushed defendant Turner away from her at which time, one of the other males struck him in the face with a closed fist which caused his glasses to fall to the ground and causing him substantial pain.

The pair attempted to run but the group caught up with them.  The female victim was grabbed from behind, her hair pulled, and brought to the ground where she was repeatedly punched and kicked.  The assailents tried to pry her fingers from her cellular telephone, bending them backwards so that she would let go of her phone.  She sustained bruising to her arms and knees and substantial pain.

The male victim was struck in the face with a closed fist multiple times by at least two individuals, resulting in a bleeding laceration to his lip, bruising and swelling to his lip, and substantial pain. The defendants reached into his pockets. 

Police charged Dwayne Turner, 23, Nashir Whitker, 19, Lorenzo Devone, 29,  with two counts of Robbery in the Second Degree. 

They are due back in court on November 16th.

Read More:

Duo arraigned in Central Park mugging
New York Post - August 3, 2015  -  By Gabrielle Fonrouge  

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Woman, 23, Shot In Arm In Brooklyn Park While Watching Basketball Tournament


Brooklyn

A 23-year-old female was shot in the arm when a gunman opened fire in a Brooklyn Park.

Catherine Loppe, 23, was hit while watching a basketball tournament in Paerdegate Park around 7:45 p.m Friday, police said.  

The park, located on Albany Avenue and Foster Avenue was crowded with park goers including spectators watching the game when the violence erupted.

-  Geoffrey Croft

Read/View More

Central Park: Man Robbed & Choked Unconscious


The NYPD  is asking the public's assistance identifying the suspect wanted for robbery within the confines of the Central Park Precinct.


The NYPD  is asking the public's assistance identifying the suspect wanted for robbing and choking a 53-year-old man unconscious on Thursday night in Central Park. The man told  police he was walking through the Ramble area of the park around 10 p.m. when he was attacked by a violent begger who had asked him for money earlier.  

Robberies in the park have nearly doubled so far this year.

Manhattan  

Cops released a sketch on Saturday of the suspect who allegedly robbed a 53-year-old man after choking him out in Central Park,  according to the New York Daily News.   

The victim was walking through The Ramble area when the creep approached him, saying, "I am hungry. Do you have any money?" near West Drive and the 79th St. Transverse at 10 p.m. on July 30, police said.  

The man replied, "No," and walked away but the suspect pursued, slinking up behind him and throwing him in a choke hold until he passed out, according to officials.  When the victim came to 20 to 30 minutes later his wallet and backpack - which contained a pair of glasses, set of keys, gift cards, jewelry and cash - were all gone, cops said.  

He was treated for injuries at Mount Sinai Roosevelt Hospital the next day, authorities said.  

Police described the suspect as a 35-year-old black man, 5-foot-8 and weighing 160-pounds.  

Robberies in the park have nearly doubled so far this year, with 19 reported through July 26, compared to 10 during the same period last year.   

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline

Read/View More

after choking him out in Central Park
New York Daily News - August 2, 2015 - By Ryan Sit , Laura Bult , Ben Kochman 

WCBS -  August 1, 2015 - By  Ilana Gold

WABC - August 1, 2015  - By Renee Stoll 

New York  Post - August 1, 2015 -  By Aaron Feis, Georgett Roberts and Laura Italiano