Wednesday, April 13, 2016

200 Lb. Concrete Slab Falls From Van Wyck Expressway Into Parks Dept. Parking Lot


A  2 and a 1/2 foot section of a crumbling support column that holds up the VanWyck Expressway fell into a Parks Department parking lot in Flushing Meadow-Corona Park. The parking facility is used by thousands of people daily.  (Photos: Geoffrey Croft/NYC Park Advocates) Click on images to enlarge.



Late yesterday afternoon New York State DOT sent personnel to investigate. The agency says the two hundred pound debris is not from the Van Wyck overpass and are speculating that it was illegally dumped.


Queens

By Geoffrey Croft

A two-hundred pound slab of concrete feel fell thirty feet from under the Van Wyck Expressway into a Parks Department parking lot narrowly missing parked cars and park goers, NYC Park Advocates has learned.

Parks Department personnel at the Aquatic Center were alerted by a frightened park patron yesterday afternoon that a piece of the support column had broken off and come crashing down into the parking lot. 

The reinforced concrete structures support the steel beams that hold up the 40-foot-high viaduct which was constructed between 1947 and 1963.

Dozens of sections under the elevated viaduct are severally deteriorated. Exposed rusted rebar and crumbling concrete sections are easily spotted along the more than half long mile section of the NY State DOT property.

Thousands of people park in the dangerous facility daily including park patrons using the aquatic center/Ice Arena, the Al Oerter Recreation Center, along with neighborhood businesses and area residents. 

The incident occurred near stanchion # 73 located between the Flushing Meadows Corona Park’s Aquatic Center/Ice Arena and the Al Oerter Recreation Center at Meridian Rd and East Rd & 131st St.  in Flushing Queens. 
  

The US Open also uses the parking facility. 

“If that would have landed on someone they would have been dead,”  said a Parks Department employee. 

Faded spray paint marking off structural deficiencies can be seen at multiple locations.  

“They clearly marked off areas that need to be repaired but it looks like that was done a few years ago,” said a Parks Department employee.

The two-hundred pound slab of concrete and metal came crashing down within inches of a parked vehicle.  Thousands of people use the parking facility daily including park patrons and neighborhood businesses and area residents. 

"I guess they’re waiting for something to happen.”

Park employees say this is not the first time sections have fallen.

“Lots of the columns that have deteriorated pretty badly,  pieces have fallen all over the place. Park patrons pick up the smaller pieces and put them on the grass because they don’t want to run over them,“ an employee said.

























Due to the overall condition of neglect, it's hard to imagine that the structural integrity has not been severally compromised by the defered mainainence.



"This is really scary," said a mother who was parked near the incident.  The woman had just exited the ice rink with her two children, an eight-year-old and two month-old daughter.  

"They are not maintaining it. " 

The dangerous infrastructure isn’t the only issue according to several park employees.  

The poorly lite facility is also popular with thieves stealing car parts. 

“Almost every day someone complains about getting ripped off,” said a law enforcement source.

"The city has also known about this for a long time.”  




By mid afternoon the area had been cordoned off with caution tape. 


Friday, April 8, 2016

Diller Island Pier 55 Lawsuit Dismissed


The Hudson River Park Trust is proposing to build a $ 170 million dollar park and entertainment complex between 13/14th Street in the West Village. The Trust may have finally found a solution for the crumbling Pier 54 delema - get a billionaire to foot the bill and exclude the public from having any say.  The proposed Pier 55 project would be built between the soon-to-be-demolished Pier 54 and the already demolished Pier 56. 

The Barry Diller-Diane von Furstenberg Family Foundation will contribute $ 130 million dollars to design and build the off-shore pier then lease it from the park trust for 20 years.   The city and state are contributing $39 million for construction.  The nonprofit Pier55 Inc. will run the pier’s programming and fund day-to-day operations. The crumbling Pier 54, which juts 875 feet into the Hudson River will be demolished and replaced by a 2.4 acre off-shore park and performance spaces according to the plan.    (Photo: Geoffrey Croft/NYC Park Advocates)


Manhattan


By Geoffrey Croft


The Hudson River Park Trust and Barry Diller's secret plan to build a massive park and entertainment complex passed it first legal hurdle on Thursday when State Supreme Court  Justice Joan B. Lobis dismissed the lawsuit ruling the 
claims were "without merit."

"It would appear that a significant purpose of maintaining event spaces in the Park is to generate funds for the ongoing upkeep of the Park, which is surely a park purpose,"  Judge Lobis bizarrely ruled.

The complaint was filed by the City Club last summer New York Supreme Court alleging that HRPT violated the Public Trust Doctrine, illegally alienated public parkland,  and "presided over a rushed and secretive process, prejudiced by outdated analyses and false comparisons that failed to comport with the basic requirements of New York State and New York City environmental laws," according to the suit.

Rob Buchanan, Co-Chair of the Citizens Advisory Committee of the NY/NJ Harbor & Estuary Program,  and Tom Fox, co-founder of  Friends of Hudson River Park, and former president of HRPT are named plaintiffs in the suit.

The $170 million plan was finally announced in November 2014 after negotiating with Mr. Diller and on Furstenberg for two years according to court documents.

Shortly after the announcement a confused Madelyn Wills, president and CEO of the Hudson River Park Trust attempted to get around a reporter's question regarding whether the deal was done behind closed doors.  Ms. Wills misrepresented and claimed that the issue was discussed with many in the community including elected officials and contradicts herself all in a matter of seconds in the brief interview.

"The funding of this, although discussed with many in the community and many electeds was obviously a funding agreement is (sic) done not in the public…." Ms. Wills told WCBS.    

"The Trust also said they kept and elected officials and community leaders apprized during the process," WCBS's Dick Brennan reported.

Area representative State Assemblymember Deborah Glick had a very different view on that subject according to the New York Times.  

"...it is deeply disturbing that the trust failed until now to disclose what it is doing,” she said in the November 17, 2014 article.

Elected officials weren't the only ones left in the dark.  Several members of the Trust's own Advisory Council also expressed not knowing as well.


This rendering of the proposed Pier 55, which will be built between the soon-to-be-demolished Pier 54 and the already demolished Pier 56, calls for undulating lawns and an amphitheater.
Proposed Diller Island (Renderings: Heatherwick Studio) 

Read More:

$ 170 Mil. Secret Pier 55 Deal: Barry Diller To Create Park & Entertainment Complex
A Walk In The Park - November 17, 2014 - By Geoffrey Croft



Thursday, March 24, 2016

Jogger Slashed In Van Cortland Park

Bronx

By Geoffrey Croft

A Bronx resident was slashed while jogging in Van Cortlandt Park on Tuesday night according to police.

The victim, 29, was running in the park near Putnam Trail South at approximately 7:30 p.m. when two black two males in their mid twenties approached him.  One of the attackers slashed the runner on his right cheek with an unknown weapon.  He suffered a 2-inch laceration. 

The victim refused medical attention.

The assailants fled into the woods.

One of the attackers was described approximately 6 feet tall with a small afro and wearing a red Adidas hooded sweatshirt. 

Police have no description of the second assailant.

The incident occurred within the confines of the 50 Pct. 

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Police Search For Suspects Wanted In Robberies In Two UWS Parks


Police are looking for suspects wanted in connection with robberies in Riverside and Mornignside Parks in the early hours of March 6th.  Police released video and photographs of suspects. 

Manhattan

By Geoffrey Croft

The New York City Police Department is asking the public for assistance with locating and identifying the individuals wanted in connection to several robberies that occurred on Sunday March 6th.

At approximately 1:40am inside Morningside Park, located at Morningside Drive and West 116 Street,  a 23-year-old male was approached from behind by three individuals who pushed him to the ground and demanded his property.  

Once on the ground one of the  assailants individuals went through the victim’s pocket and removed his wallet, an undetermined amount of cash, and a cellphone. The individuals fled westbound towards Morningside Drive.

The Incident occured within the confines of the 26 Pct.


Police released video of suspects wanted in the March 6th robbery and attacks. 

Approximately a half hour later at 2:21am the three assailants approached a 22 and 23-year-old male sitting on the bench inside Riverside Park, located at Riverpark Drive and West 108 Street.

An individual punched one of the victims in the face while another assailant took property from the victim’s pocket.  The individuals fled southbound from inside Riverside Park.

The Incident occured within the confines of the 24 Pct.

Approximately a half hour later at approximately 2:40am a 27-year-old male was walking northbound on Westend Avenue and West 73 Street near when he was approached by the three individuals from behind. One of the individuals pulled the victim by the jacket collar and tried to take his bag. An unknown male saw the incident and shouted at the robbers prompting them individuals to flee southbound on Wesstend Avenue.  No property was removed.

The Incident occured within the confines of the 20 Pct.

Individual 1: approximately a 20-year-old male, Black, 5'8"tall, 180 lbs, medium complexion, last seen wearing a red jacket, black jeans and a baseball cap.

Individual 2: approximately a 20-year-old male, Black, 5'9",tall, 160 lbs, medium complexion, slender build, last seen wearing a black jacket, black jeans, black hoody, and black sneakers

Individual 3: approximately a 20-year-old male, Black, 6'0"tall,170 lbs, medium complexion, gray jeans, blue jacket, and a gray striped hoody.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).  

The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.



Tuesday, March 15, 2016

FDNY Called To Game Of Thrones Low Budget Union Sq. Promo Event


























A firefigher checks the permit for a smoke machine from a Game of Thrones promo event in Union Square Park this morning while two HBO event officials look on.  (Photos: Geoffrey Croft/NYC PArk Advocates) Click on images to enlarge.

Manhattan

By Geoffrey Croft

Daenerys Targaryen’s dragons are no match for the FDNY. 

New York’s bravest threatened to turn off the smoke machine being used as part of a Game of Thrones themed promotion after being called to Union Square Park to investigate.  

They arrived at HBO’s low-budget but much hyped promo event after receiving a call this morning of smoke coming from the southern end of the park at 14th Street.

When firemen arrived they observed smoke spewing from a replica of an overturned garbage can lying on its side.


Smoking Garbage Can.  The Fire Department was called to Union Square Park this morning. 


“What is the smoke for,”  a fireman asked. "Is there anyway you can not do it?”

An HBO official who said she was in charge explained the scenario while a Fire Department official checked the permit. 

“The permit checks out,” the fireman said to his colleagues.

“We’ll let it go for now but If we keep getting calls we’re going to have to shut it down,” he warned the HBO event staffer after getting her name.

The bare bones set consisted of a single smoke machine; a small scale lamp post, a broken bench, a replica of broken up hexagon block sidewalk,  and  two large dragon footprints made to resemble skid marks.

Staffers often outnumbered onlookers for much of  this morning's  low key event to promote the DVD release Game of Thrones (GOT) Season 5.

“Sorry for the mess,” an event personnel explained. 

“A dragon landed here last night and we are cleaning up after him,” he repeated over and over.  

The barker then instructed people to post photos of the event to Twitter using a certain GOT hashtag.  

 Firefighers arrive at the scene. 

Event staff reminded the public of another event later this evening at Harold Square and hinted that, “special guests”  - i.e. cast members - would be in attendance.

At least one person not connected to HBO’s hit show had hoped for a larger crowd.

NYPhotobus set up a voter registration location a few feet away complete with GOT disco-themed music and “House Sanders” posters.

After five hours of being illegally parked in a turning lane police asked the bus to move on but not before they signed up 30 new voters NYPhoto reported.

 

Season 6 of HBO's wildly popular series premieres on April 24th.

Read More:

‘Game of Thrones’ dragon promo is a total dud
New York Post - March 15, 2016 - By Brooke Baitinger and Sophia Rosenbaum 






Saturday, February 20, 2016

Man Slashed During Robbery In Bronx Playground

Bronx

By Geoffrey Croft

23-year-old man was slashed in the face during an atempted robbery in a Bronx Playground yesterday.

The attack occured while a thief tried to rob the victim of his cellphone in French Charley’s Playground in Bronx Park, at 204th Street and Webster Avenue around 2:30pm, police said.

The suspect took off without the victim's phone.

The victim was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital in stable condition.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Mayor de Blasio's Horse Trade Deal Collapses




Mayor de Blasio addressing the media after finally emerging from his SUV more than fifteen minutes after pulling into City Hall.  The Mayor is pushing a bill that would restricted carriage horses to Central Park as well as have the tax payers foot the bill to relocate the horse carriage industry into a Parks Department owned building in the park. (Photos: Geoffrey Croft/NYC Park Advocates) Click on images to enlarge


Manhattan

By Geoffrey Croft

The City Council will not be voting on the Mayor's controversial horse-drawn carriage bill.


The move comes after the carriage license owners voted not to support Teamster's Local 553 deal with the Mayor.

The Teamsters themselves finally backed out after a rash of negative publicity.

“We negotiated in good faith with the City Council and the Teamsters to reach this agreement,” Mr. de Blasio said in a statement.

"The terms of that agreement have not changed during these past weeks, but today the Teamsters decided to back away from the fair compromise they had previously endorsed. While we are disappointed this bill will no longer be considered Friday, the people of this city know what I believe, and we will work toward a new path on this issue.”

"The Council will not vote on any horse carriage related legislation on Friday since the Teamsters no longer support the deal,” Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito said in statement.  

The Council said they had "sufficient votes to pass the legislation, but will not be moving it because the legislation was predicated on the agreement."

Several council members said they had expressed to Speaker Mark-Viverito their strong to desire to get away from the issue.

"The votes just weren't there. Let's move on," a Council member said today speaking on the
 condition of anonymity.  


The Mayor sat in his SUV surrounded by aids and security for fifteen minutes after arriving at City Hall. 


The Mayor sat in his SUV for fifteen minutes after arriving at City Hall after seeing a phalanx of reporters and members of the horse-drawn carriage industry who had just finished a press conference.

He finally emerged, briefly addressed the media and abruptly left. 

“I’m obviously disappointed that the vote won’t happen,” the mayor said.

“You all know my views on this issue," he added. "We’re going to find a way forward."

The administration has not fared well on this issue following a disastrous public hearing on the bill two weeks ago where officials struggled to answer even basic questions. 

"The hearing was ridiculous, they couldn't answer anything," a Council member said today who also spoke on the condition of anonymity.  


A steady stream of opponents emerged since the January hearing including the Transport Workers Union and the Central Labor Council.


The Central  Park Conservancy, which manages the park under a legal agreement with the City and raises 75 percent of its operating budget from private donations because the city refuses to,  sent an email to members last Thursday saying it had, “significant concerns” about the plan.

NYCLASS  - who waged an expensive campaign which many credit with helping the mayor get elected - supported the deal which, as critics point out, should not come as a surprise.



“Whatever compromise the mayor will agree to, we would be happy with,” Steve Nislick said in an interview more than a year ago. 

"We trust him,” he said. 


The Mayor's  proposed new $ 25 million dollar home for the carriage horse industry in Central Park. The park’s Department’s 86th Street Shops building.


For weeks the administration had tried its best to claim that the seventy-five horses, and sixty-eight carriages planned for Central Park would fit into the existing footprint of the Parks Department’s 86th Street shops.

When everyone with knowledge of the plan knew was impossible. 

The administration finally admited in a "Fact Sheet" sent to select Council members what was coming.

"There may need to be a new structure to house the carriages. The new structure would be contained within the same lot.” 

  
Read More:

A Walk In The Park - January 19, 2016 - By Geoffrey Croft


A Walk In The Park - January 14, 2016 - By Geoffrey Croft