Monday, July 13, 2015

2 Teens Shot In Brooklyn Park




Police officers investigated the shooting of two teenagers,  age 14, and 16, in Mount Prospect Park in Brooklyn on Sunday night. (Photo: Dave Sanders for The New York Times)

Brooklyn

Two teenagers were shot during a West Indian music festival in Mount Prospect Park in Brooklyn on Sunday night, according to witnesses and the police, who said the boys were taken to a nearby hospital, according to the New York Times.

The police said one teenager was shot in the hip and the other was shot in the torso. They were taken to New York Methodist Hospital in Park Slope and were in stable condition. Family members identified the boys as Jordan Lewis, 14, and Aakif Murray, 16, both of Brooklyn.

The boys had been at an afternoon picnic with extended family and friends, said Kersha Thompson, 28, Jordan’s aunt. She said the teenagers were preparing to leave after a long day when the gunfire began.

“We were leaving to the next event,” she said, while waiting for news at the hospital. “We heard the gunshots.”

Ms. Jordan said no one at the picnic knew the identity or the motive of the gunman and that they believed the boys were bystanders hit by “stray bullets.”

Ms. Thompson described Jordan’s condition as “stable” but said that Aakif appeared to be more seriously injured. Members of Aakif’s family stood nearby at the hospital, inconsolable.

A steel drummer performing in the park, who gave his name only as Roger, said the music was nearly over when he heard gunfire on the far end of the concert field near Eastern Parkway.

He said there had been no indication previously that anyone in the crowd, many of whom traveled from Philadelphia, had a problem.

“Nobody was arguing, nobody was fighting,” said Roger, 52, who said he lives in New York.

Late Sunday night, police officers stood in groups just inside the park and said they intended to search the field where the concertgoers had been.

Inside a perimeter of yellow police tape next to a playground, five detectives scoured the area, which was littered with empty beer bottles, marking potential evidence with upside-down foam cups. A law enforcement official said that 9-millimeter shell casings were found at the scene.

For blocks along Eastern Parkway, police cars flashed their red and blue lights in the darkness, stopping vehicles as they headed east.

Read More:


New York Times -  July 13, 2015 - By Liam Stack





Thursday, July 9, 2015

Shark Caught In Rockaway Beach



Queens

By Geoffrey Croft

Beach goers got quite a surprise on Sunday when three sharks were caught within an hour  at Beach 29th Street in Rockaway Beach.

Bruno Giuliani posted a video on Facebook of what appears to be an approximately 4 foot long shark being reeled in from the shore.  The footage shows another person dragging the fish towards the beach.

Admittedly the footage is not quite as dramatic as the great white shark that photobombed divers in South Africa that is currently making waves on the Internet.   



City To Allow Gravesite Visits On Hart Island - Bill To Transfer Land To Parks' Still Pending


An abandoned building on Hart Island in the Bronx. As of July 19, the city will run monthly visits for relatives and their guests.  The Correction Department settled a lawsuit filed by the  N.Y.C.L.U on behalf of relatives for greater access to the island.  A hearing on a pending bill in the City Council which would transfer jurisdiction of the island to the city’s parks department will be held in the fall.    (Photo: Don Emmert/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images via The New York Times)

Bronx

In a major policy shift in the way New York runs its potter’s field for the burial of unclaimed bodies, the city has settled a lawsuit and will allow relatives to visit grave sites on Hart Island, off City Island in the Bronx, according to the New York Times.  

The city’s Department of Correction, which runs burial operations on Hart Island, has settled a class-action lawsuit brought by the New York Civil Liberties Union on behalf of relatives of people buried there.  

Both sides announced the settlement on Wednesday, calling it historic.  

The correction commissioner, Joseph Ponte, said the deal would help the department “enable access to the cemetery on Hart Island in a compassionate and safe manner.”  

“We look forward to implementing this historic settlement,” Mr. Ponte continued, “and pledge to work closely with the N.Y.C.L.U. in order to make the compassionate access it envisions a reality.”  

Under the settlement, the city will run monthly visits for relatives and their guests, said Christopher Dunn, a lawyer with the civil liberties organization who was the lead counsel in the case.  


Prison inmates burying infants in caskets in 1991. (Photo: Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times)

The Correction Department takes inmates from Rikers Island to the island by bus and ferry to bury the deceased, including newborn children, in mass graves. In recent years, the department has conducted regular monthly visits, one weekday a month for relatives to gather at a memorial area on the island at a distance from the burial areas. But they were barred by officials from visiting the grave sites, which are unmarked, though the names and location of the dead are recorded in a city database.  

Those weekday trips will continue, but the settlement also adds monthly weekend visits for relatives, each of whom may bring along up to four people who do not need to be relatives.  

The city will offer two round-trip ferry rides — with space for a total of 50 passengers — starting on July 19, to transport visitors to the island, and then escort them to grave sites. 

The 101-acre island has unceremoniously received the city’s homeless, poor, stillborn and other unclaimed bodies, delivered by truck and ferry from borough morgues. The city buries up to 1,500 bodies a year, stacked in pine boxes in long trenches.  

Correction Department officials have long kept tight restrictions on burial information and have emphasized the need to keep the island restricted because of dangerous conditions, security concerns regarding the inmate laborers and the absence of amenities and utilities.  

The settlement goes into detail in listing possible relatives who are allowed to visit, including parents, stepsiblings, second cousins, legal guardians and domestic partners. It specifies what visitors shall be permitted to leave as mementos at the grave sites, including flowers (no vases), small stuffed animals, small flags and blankets. 

Mr. Dunn said that three people, from two families, were the lead plaintiffs in the suit, and that none wished to comment.  

He said he believed the settlement would eventually lead to the burial areas being opened to the public.  

“People will start visiting grave sites this month and more people will want to go, and more people will understand that the Department of Corrections running a cemetery is a bad idea,” he said. 


A trench at the potter’s field, circa 1890. CreditJacob A. Riis/Museum of the City of New York


In fact, a bill pending in the City Council would transfer jurisdiction over the island to the city’s parks department. The lead sponsor, Councilwoman Elizabeth S. Crowley, a Democrat from Queens, said a hearing on the bill would be held in the fall.  

Saying Hart Island could be “a place schoolkids can take school trips to,” Ms. Crowley said she envisioned the island’s becoming an attraction in much the same way Governors Island has turned into a popular destination.  

“The Department of Correction doesn’t want it,” she said. “In unofficial conversations, they’ve said they’d be happy to give it to another city agency.”  

Advocates for opening up Hart Island argue that personnel hired and trained to oversee the city’s jail system are ill equipped to run a cemetery and interact with bereaved loved ones.  They also argue that the rules stigmatize the visiting process, with relatives of the dead being treated as prison visitors rather than mourners by being forced to follow many of the same rules that apply at Rikers, including a ban on cameras and phones. 

The settlement suggests that Correction Department officials may have more discretion, stating that officials are permitted to search visitors and “may require visitors to surrender electronic devices.” The settlement also stipulates that the officials “maintain a respectful distance while visitors are present at a grave site consistent with legitimate security concerns.”  

Melinda Hunt, an advocate for easing the restrictions on Hart Island, called some aspects of the settlement disappointing, such as the city’s right to require relatives to present proof of their relationship to the deceased. The larger problem, she said, is that the burial system remains in control of jail officials and guards.  

“The city has to review its 19th-century burial process.”  

Still, she said, the settlement was “another step to opening Hart Island.”  

“We’re not at the finish line,” she added, “but we’re farther along.”

Read More:

New York City to Allow Relatives to Visit Grave Sites at Potter’s Field
New York Times - July 8, 2015 - By Corey Kilgannon  


Monday, July 6, 2015

Ex-Boyfriend Arrested In Bronx Park Stabbing Death

Authorities are seen at Bronx River Park, where a 22-year-old mother was found dead.
Investigators are seen at Bronx Park, where a 22-year-old mother was found dead. (Photos: Norman Y. Lona/For New York Daily News)

Bronx

By Geoffrey Croft

The ex-boyfriend  of the 22-year-old woman found brutally murdered in a Bronx park early yesterday morning has been charged. 

The lifeless body of Jasmine Gonzalez, 22, was discovered early yesterday after police received a call. The body of Gonzalez, who lived nearby, was found in Bronx Park near 226th Street &  Bronx Blvd with multiple stab wounds to her torso.  She was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Khiry'Amir Borden, 25,  the father of the their two-year-son called the police shorty before 6am to report that he found her body, but police said the story did not add up.

Police found a backpack full of bloody clothing at Borden's house which he tried to hide. 

He was arrested last night and charged with murder, manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon.

Jasmine Gonzalez's mother (in pink), along with family and friends, cry at the scene where her daughter's body was discovered.
 Jasmine Gonzalez's mother (in pink), along with family and friends, cry at the scene where her daughter's body was discovered.


Read/View More:

A Walk In The Park - July 5, 2015 - By Geoffrey Croft 

New York Times - July 5, 2015 -  By Tatiana Schlossberg

New York Daily News - July 6, 2015 - By Keldy Ortiz, Caitlin Nolan, Bill Hutchinson 



Sunday, July 5, 2015

22 Year-Old Female Found Dead With Multiple Stab Wounds In Bronx Park

Embedded image permalink
Police at the scene this afternoon. (Photo courtesy: Gary Baumgarten)

Bronx

A 22 year-old female was found dead with multiple stab wounds, according to the police.

The body was found this morning around 6am in Bronx Park near 226th Street &  Bronx Blvd. 

The victim was stabbed in the torso and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The woman's ex-boyfriend is being questioned.

The investigation is on going.

- Geoffrey Croft 

Man, 63 Shot In Back By Teen 15, At BBQ In Brooklyn Playground .380 PMK handgun


7515shooting.jpg
Arresting officers LaRue and Cruz; the .380 PMK handgun recovered at the scene (images: DCPI via gothamist)

Brooklyn

A teen opened fire on a group of people celebrating the Fourth of July in a Brooklyn Park Saturday, cops said, according to the NY Post.

The group was barbecuing inside of Sumner Playground near Throop Avenue around 6:30 p.m. when Tyrone Whidbee, 15, pedaled into the park on a bicycle and approached them, cops said. 

He then got off his bike and allegedly squeezed off several rounds, hitting a 63-year-old man in the back, before fleeing. Responding officers found Whidbee nearby on the corner of Marcus Garvey Boulevard and Flushing Avenue and began chasing him after he started running while clutching his waistband. 

Cops said Whidbee then threw his black semi-automatic .380 PMK handgun onto the street as he ran north on Humboldt Street and was apprehended after a police car blocked his path near Debevoise Street. 

Whidbee was charged with attempted murder and assault, police said. The victim was taken to Kings County Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

Read More:

New York Post -  July 5, 2015  - By Antonio Antenucci