Showing posts with label FDNY. Show all posts
Showing posts with label FDNY. Show all posts

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

FDNY Ice Rescue In Forest Park - Child, 11, In Serious Condition

Queens

By Geoffrey Croft

The Fire Department pulled  an 11-year-old child out of the ice waters in Forest Park this afternoon after apparently falling through the ice.

Divers found the boy submerged in Strack Pond about 50 feet from the shore and pulled him to shoreline.

The first 911 call came at 4:05 p.m. for a person in the water.

FDNY performed CPR on the scene.  CPR was also performed in ambulance in the way to Jamaica Hospital.

The child is listed in serious condition according to FDNY.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Central Park: Teens Rescused After Falling Into Pond While Taking Selfies.



FDNY divers continue to search water in Central Park near 59th Street and Central Park South and Sixth Avenue last night. (Images: FDNY via twitter)

By Geoffrey Croft

A group of dim-witted teens had to be rescued after they fall into the water in Central Park while taking selfies.

FDNY removed six persons from the water body.

The incident occurred just before 6:00pm last night at The Pond located at the southern end of the park near 59th Street.

The group had been messing around by the water when they decided to venture out onto the thin ice to take photos when they fell in.

Good Samaritans also got involved when they jumped into the water to help.

The boys ages 15 and 16 and were brought to local hospitals and treated for mild hypothermia according to fire officials.

“I think after tonight we can reinforce to the people that playing on ice is not a good idea,” FDNY Deputy Chief John Scof said during a press conference afterwards.




Friday, November 21, 2014

Parks Department Forestry Truck Overturned In Queens:Video



A massive Parks Department Forestry bucket truck lies on its side after it was  hit and overturned by a commercial delivery vehicle in Maspeth Queens Thursday morning at the intersection of 72nd Street and Grand Avenue.   Parents from nearby schools including PS. 58 became nervous when they were notified via automated text that a major accident had occurred.    (Photos by Linda D'Aquaro) click on images to enlarge

Queens

By Geoffrey Croft

A commercial truck hit a large Parks Department Forestry truck causing it to flip onto its side,  NYC Park Advocates has learned.

According to witness the commercial truck was attempting to make a turn and got stuck, then backed up and apparently hooked the Parks truck.  When it pulled forward, it caused the Parks truck to flip.

The incident occured yesterday at the intersection of 72nd Street and Grand Avenue.

FDNY said they received a call of an overturned truck at 11:21 am. They report the truck was leaking fluid and oil at the scene according to a spokesperson. 

The accident caused major traffic issues as Grand Avenue was closed from 71st Street to 74th Street for approximately 3 hours.


A Parks Department Forestry bucket truck lies on its side after being struck.

A crane was brought in to upright the truck.  



 Video shows the massive Parks truck being turned rightside up.  

A Parks Department spokesperson confirmed the incident and said the person in the truck thankfully did not report any injuries.

Parents from nearby schools including PS. 58 became nervous when they were notified via automated text that a major accident had occurred.   

The accident happened a few blocks away from  Elmhurst Park.



Thursday, April 18, 2013

Police & FD Rescue Two More People Locked In Parks - 4 Incidents In A Month






























The Fire Department freed a woman last night who was locked in Matthews - Palmer Playground in Manhattan after receiving a 911 call.  Earlier in the day police had to free an 8th grader who was locked in the bathroom at Jennifer's Playground on Staten Island.   These were the forth reported incidents of park patrons being locked in park facility in a month. 

The Parks Department has refused to address the issue publicly.  (Photo: Geoffey Croft/NYC Park Advocates) click on image to enlarge.



City-Wide

By Geoffrey Croft

For the forth time in a month, park patrons had to be freed from locked park facilities NYC Park Advocates has learned.

The latest incidents occurred yesterday in Manhattan and on Staten Island.

On Staten Island the NYPD came to the aid of a child who was locked in a park bathroom.

Police received a 911 call from a cell phone user at 3:06 pm stating that a boy was locked inside Jennifer's Playground on Regis Drive, btw. Elson Court and  Farragut Avenue. 

Police were able to brake the lock of the comfort station and free the boy.  Sources say he was in 8th grade. 

Park maintenance were seen working on the door this morning.

For the second time in less than a week the Fire Department had to be called in to free a park patron.

Last night the Fire Department responded to a 911 call at 8:30pm stating that a female was locked inside a Manhattan park.

FDNY were called to Matthews - Palmer Playground - btw. W. 45/46th Sts. between 9th &10th Avenues where they were forced to cut the lock and free the woman.

The gate was open when park workers arrived this morning.

The Parks Department's press office had refused to comment on why this is happening so frequently and what the agency is doing procedurally to prevent it.  

"Evidently something's wrong, " said  a long-time parks worker speaking on the condition his name not be used for fear of reprisal. 

Last week in the Bronx the Fire Department rescued  a 5 year-old boy locked inside a park bathroom while his family in the park.

The boy was found locked inside the bathroom in the Hilton White Playground on East 161St and Cauldwell Avenue at 3: 45pm.

On March 17th in Queens a man was forced to spend the night in the bathroom.  Park workers discovered a 40-year-old man "shivering" inside the locked comfort station in  Det. Keith Williams Park near 173rd Street and 106th Avenue.   


Read More:

A Walk In The Park - April 11, 2012 - By Geoffrey Croft 

A Walk In The Park - March 17, 2012 - By Geoffrey Croft 


Sunday, September 30, 2012

Oil Released Into Jamaica Bay





























Paerdegat Basin Park/Paerdegat Basin Creek. Paerdegat Avenue North and Seaview Avenue. 

A yellow oil boom was placed around a storm sewer between the Midget Squadron Yacht Club and Sebago Canoe Club, two of the Parks Department's five maritime concessions which were impacted by the spill. (Photos: Geoffrey Croft/NYC Park Advocates) Click on images to enlarge.


Brooklyn

By Geoffrey Croft

At least 1100 gallons of petroleum were released into Paerdegat Basin Creek - part of Jamaica Bay - when a power company's abandoned pipe line ruptured.

National Grid was working on filling in an old gas main pipe with cement when it ruptured spewing oil into the much improved creek.   Dozens of concerned Canarsie residents called 911 and 311to report the noxious smell which began on Thursday and could still be detected blocks away over the weekend.

Some people complained of headaches and nausea.  Boaters where worried if dangerous PCB's were released into the area.

"You could taste oil in your mouth" a boater said at the Midget Squadron Yacht Club. 

The Coast Guard sent out pollution responders. The FDNY, and NY State DEC also responded.   Miller Environmental Group, an environmental waste crew was quickly dispatched and sent two large vacuum trucks, and a tanker truck.

The containment and clean up included laying down oil booms and blue absorbent pads in the water. The clean up is expected to last days. 

Both NYFD and the Coast guard personnel were out over the weekend surveying the area and warning boaters about the spill.   The public is advised to avoid fishing and recreational activity in the area.


Oil. Blue absorbent pads were placed in the spill area.

In addition to what got discharged into Paerdegat Basin National Grid contractors were seen filling up multiple 55 gallons drums along Seaview Ave in front of Canarsie Park. 

"Our whole club filled with gas," said Mike Keller from the Diamond Point Yacht Club, one of five Parks Department maritime concessions in the spill area.

He said he was entering the club's driveway on Paerdegat Avenue North on Thursday when he was hit with the oder.

"My car completely filled will the smell of methane gas to the point where I was gagging.   This whole area was filled with methane gas, waves of gas," he said pointing to Yacht Club grounds.

Mr. Keller  who has been coming to the club for 25 years said the spill was helped by the outgoing tides on Friday. He brought up the information on his cell phone which showed that from 7:35am-1:32pm on Friday the tides were going out to Jamaica Bay.

"That took a bulk of it out to sea. It's disbursed into the bay.  We've been through it all out here."

Gianni Lopez, 52, experienced the unpleasantness first hand when his Kayak tipped over into the putrid waters.

"It was my first time out here. You could smell the stench as soon as I got out here, I didn't go out very far," said the Park Slope resident wiping down his Kayak at the Sebago Canoe Club.

"I went under, I wasn't too happy about that. I'm going to wash very well today."

A number of boaters thought the 1100 gallon estimate was "conservative."

"This is an unfortunate environmental incident as our waterways are a local treasure,"  Petty Officer 2nd Class Erik Swanson, Coast Guard spokesman in New York said in a statement.    

"Coast Guard pollution responders, working closely with city and state partners, will ensure the responsible party performs a proper and complete cleanup of the spill site."

"On Sept. 27 National Grid and its contractor were working on filling in an old gas main that is no longer in service with cement, the energy company said in a statement.  

"During the process an oily water residue spilled from the exit pipe into a valve box. An odor from the residue was released, resulting in a number of odor calls. We were onsite with crews throughout the night investigating and did not find any gas leaks. We immediately notified the appropriate agencies and we and our environmental contractors are working under the direction of the Coast Guard and the NYS DEC to clean up a spill in Paerdergat Basin."


FDNY investigating the scene.


Oil on the water.

Coast Guard personnel inspects the conditions with a boater at the Sebado Canoe Club. 


A yellow oil boom was placed around a storm sewer between the Midget Squadron Yacht Club and Sebago Canoe Club. 

Read More:


Metro NY - September 30, 2012 - By Jesse Greenspan 

CBS - September 30, 2012 - Alex Silverman

New York Post - September 30, 2012 - By Dan Macleod

NY1 News - September 30, 2012

Sheepsheadbites -  September 29,  2012 - by Ned Berke

The Associated Press - September 29, 2012

WABC - September 29, 2012



Friday, April 13, 2012

Two-Alarm Fire In Central Park Compost Facility

















Four hours after a fire broke out at The Mount, Central Park's main composting operation on a hill near 102nd Street on the East side. (Photos:© Geoffrey Croft/NYC Park Advocates) Click on image to enlarge.

2012_02_cpfire.jpg
Via NBC New York

Manhattan

A two-alarm fire broke out today around two-fifteen at Central Park's main compost facility, according to fire officials at the scene today. The fire was at 102nd Street on the East side of the park near the drive, above the Conservatory Gardens. The area is a combination of mulch, compost and large logs from Hurricane Irene.

More than 100 fire fighters responded FDNY Battalion Chief Jim Ginty said while surveying the smoldering timbers. He estimated the flames got as high as twenty feet.

















The cause was undetermined but Chief Ginty said the dry weather most likely contributed to the condition. He said they would be monitoring the area for the next twenty-four hours. He said the fire department has been called to the area but didn't remember a fire as large as this before.

The fire could be smelled from two blocks away.

According to FDNY officials they had 25 units and over 100 firefighters on the scene operating and no injuries, and no buildings were impacted.

Central Park Conservancy head Doug Blonsky, and Neil Calvanese - vice president for operations were at the scene. Numerous Conservancy workers were seen clearing paths to allow large amounts of water which was running down the hill towards the Conservatory Gardens be diverted along the parameter to drain.

According to the Conservancy more than 3,000 cubic yards of leaves are taken to the Mount to be broken down into compost anually. Another 5,000 cubic yards of wood mulch is generated from tree and shrub clippings. The rich compost is recycled and returned to the Park’s landscapes, used year-round in all of the Conservancy’s planting and horticultural projects.

— Geoffrey Croft

Central Park's Composting Operation

The Mount composting area under normal operating conditions. (Photo: Central Park Conservancy)